Ministerstvo vnitra České republiky  

Přejdi na


Rychlé linky: Mapa serveru Textová verze English Rozšířené vyhledávání


Hlavní menu




Brexit information 


Residence of UK citizens from January 1st, 2021


Existing residence rights arising from the Withdrawal Agreement will be maintained for the United Kingdom (UK) citizens who have legally resided in the territory of the Czech Republic before December 31st, 2020. Legal residence can be proven primarily through a certificate of temporary residence, or permanent residence permit issued for the UK citizens before February 1st, 2020, or a residence document issued after February 1st, 2020 in the same format, with an "EU Withdrawal Agreement" stamp on page 2 for a temporary residence certificate and page 4 for a permanent residence permit. For this reason, it is important for all UK citizens who have been long-term residents in the territory of the Czech Republic to hold a temporary residence certificate or, in case of citizens residing in the territory of the Czech Republic for over 5 years, a permanent residence permit after December 31st, 2020.

The temporary or permanent residence certificate can be requested at the Ministry of the Interior by December 31st, 2020. For those residing legally, it will be possible to submit the application after January 1st, 2021 as well. However, a longer examination process of these applications can be expected due the need for a more detailed evidence to prevent the abuse of rights and fraud, and higher degree of discretion in case of application deficiencies.


UK citizens travelling to the Czech Republic after December 31st, 2020 will fall into the third country citizens’ category. For stays in the territory of the Czech Republic exceeding 90 days the UK citizens will have to request a long-term visa or long-term residence at the diplomatic mission of the Czech Republic. The Czech Republic will start accepting the applications for the entitlement to long-term residence from UK citizens on January 1st, 2021. The UK citizens will be entitled to submit the long-term residence applications at all diplomatic missions of the Czech Republic abroad, i.e. the applications can be submitted not only through the Czech embassy in London, but also at other diplomatic embassies of the Czech Republic within the EU, e.g. in Berlin, Brussels, Bucharest, Dublin, Sofia, Warsaw, Vienna or Zagreb.

As far as short-term stays not exceeding 90 days during any 180-days period are concerned, UK citizens will be obliged to apply for a Schengen visa only if they travel to the territory of the Czech Republic to perform profit-making activities. The above mentioned period includes stay in both the Czech Republic and other countries of the Schengen area.


Please be aware that due to the EU coordination on temporary travel restrictions from third countries to EU+, after January 1st, 2021 UK citizens might be allowed to travel to the EU/Czech Republic only in justified cases. If, due to the unfavourable epidemiological situation, the UK is not listed as a safe country from epidemiological perspective, persons who do not hold a residence permit or do not fall into the exempt categories will not be able to travel to the Czech Republic at all.


With effect from January 1st, 2021, UK nationals and British citizens benefitting from the Withdrawal Agreement will not be able to undergo border checks at the designated EU/EHP/CH checkpoints. They will not be able to use the easyGO system for automatic border control either.

The border checkpoints are sufficiently staffed, nevertheless, longer waiting times in the checkpoints queues can be expected with regards to the flights scheduled. Another factor which will prolong the waiting time is the detailed border check procedure of nationals within the meaning of Article 8(3) of the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council 2016/399 (Schengen Border Code), which includes more operations.

In the future, UK citizens will be subject to a registration procedure in the entry/exit system (EES) and an obligation to hold a travel permit obtained through the European Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS). This, however, does not apply to those benefitting from the Withdrawal Agreement - they will be outside the scope of EES and ETIAS, as they will have the right to free movement and residency.


vytisknout  e-mailem