Státní služba  

Rychlé linky: Sitemap Text version Fulltext search


Main menu



Information for schools and students


Leaving for the CZ

Embassy procedure before affixing a long-term visa or a visa for the purpose o f collecting a residence permit

Prior to affixing a long-term visa or a long-term visa for the purpose of receiving a long-term residence permit for the purpose of studies (D/VR), the foreign national submits a document on travel medical insurance for the period of stay in the Czech Republic, which corresponds to the conditions set out in § 180j of the Act on Residence of Foreign National.

Proof of travel medical insurance is understood to be a document in which the relevant insurance company declares / confirms:

  • The period of insurance (insurance must cover the entire stay in the Czech Republic);

  • The extent of the insurance (the insurance policy must cover the costs that the foreign national is obliged to cover for the period of his/her stay in the Czech Republic in the event of providing necessary and urgent health care including the costs associated with transport or, in the case of his/her death, those associated with transferring his/her physical remains to the state that issued the travel document or to another state in which he/she has a residence permit).

For more information about travel and medical insurance, follow the link Medical Insurance.

Affixing a long-term visa and receiving a long-term residence card

Based on an instruction of the MOI, the embassy indicates the purpose of stay in the long-term visa.

Numerical codes and indication of long-term visas:

  • 23 - "studies",

  • 99 - "other",

  • VC - visa for a stay of over 90 days (multiple),

  • VR - visa for the purpose of collecting a long-term residence permit.

The embassy affixes a long-term visa granted for the purpose of “studies” or “other” into the foreign national’s passport as a multiple visa. During its validity, this visa enables its holder to stay in the Czech Republic, while he/she can also visit other EU Member States for three months during one six-month period. For more information on traveling to other Schengen/EU states, please visit our section dedicated to this topic.

Because an Embassy does not affix a long-term residence permit, which may only be issued as a plastic biometric card by the MOI, a foreigner with a general visa requirement to enter the Czech Republic will be given a D/VR visa - visa for the purpose of collecting a long-term residence permit. It is granted as a single-entry visa valid for 6 months with a permitted stay of 60 days in the Czech Republic. After affixing the D/VR the embassy provides the applicant with important information (the address of the pertinent MOI office including office hours, where he/she should report in person upon entering the Czech Republic, options for appointments by telephone, etc.).

Within 3 working days of entering the Czech Republic, all non-EU students arriving to receive a long-term residence permit are obliged to report to the MOI office in person for the purpose of carrying out activities associated with issuing a biometric residence card and to report their arrival.

Foreigners arriving without a permit or on a long-term visa for the purpose of “studies” or “other” will not receive a biometric card, therefore, their only responsibility after arrival is to report within 3 days from arrival to the Foreign Police, unless their accommodation provider does it for them, see here.


Department for Asylum and Migration Policy, October 12th, 2023

Print  by e-mail