Ministry of the interior of the Czech Republic  


Modern Administration

Quick links: Sitemap Text version Česky Fulltext search


Main menu



Travelling within the EU/Schengen


EU citizen

Every citizen of an EU Member State can invoke the right to stay in another EU Member State (free movement of persons), that being on the basis of Article 21 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, stating that "Every citizen of the Union shall have the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States".

The right to reside can only be restricted in cases justified by public order, public safety or health protection.

An EU citizen can travel within the EU on the basis of a valid passport or identity card. The documents should be valid at least for the period of the planned stay outside of the territory of their native state or the state in which they reside.

In the event of losing a travel document, it is necessary to announce this to the nearest consular office of the country that issued the travel document and which will issue a replacement travel document in order to return. This document only serves for a single journey to the country that issued the document.

An EU citizen does not need permission to reside in other EU Member States, nevertheless, every member State has set rules concerning the reporting requirement / registration of an EU citizen after arriving in its territory, which must be verified at the given state’s consular office if you intend to temporarily reside in its territory.


21st December 2015

Print  E-mail