Ministry of the interior of the Czech Republic  


Modern Administration

Quick links: Sitemap Text version Česky Fulltext search


Main menu



Reporting changes


Loss or theft of a travel document / identity card

If a foreign national loses a travel document/proof of identity or it is stolen, he/she is obliged to notify the police of this fact immediately.

Application for a new residence card to replace a card that was lost, destroyed, stolen or damaged or to replace a card with a dysfunctional biometric data carrier.

A foreign national must announce the loss, destruction, damage or theft of a residence card within 3 days of this event occurring. If it occured in the territory of the Czech Republic, it is announced to the MOI office based on his/her address. If this event occured abroad, a Czech embassy must be notified. Similarly, a foreign national is obliged to announce the finding or acquisition of a residence card that he/she previously declared lost or stolen.

When reporting the loss of a residence card, an MOI worker is to provide the foreign national with a paper confirmation that loss has been reported.

If a foreign national is prevented from reporting a change within the legally required period due to reasons outside of his/her control, he/she must report the change within 3 working days of these reasons ending. The foreign national must prove these reasons. If the change is not reported within the legally required period and there is no obstacle that is outside of the foreign national’s control, the delay in reporting a change will be judged as a violation and a fine can be imposed.

When applying for a new residence card, the foreign national provides:

  • an original of a valid travel document / passport,
  • the damaged permit or the biometric data carrier that is not working,
  • in case of theft, a police statement on announcing the theft of a residence card.

Lodging of the application for an issue of a new residence card is charged with the administrative fee that is equal to CZK 4 000. This administrative fee has to be paid in a form of revenue stamps (kolek). In the event of lodging the application for an issue of a new residence card to replace a card with a dysfunctional biometric data carrier, a foreign national is obliged to pay this administrative fee only if the data carrier became dysfunctional due to circumstances that a foreign national demonstrably knew would damage or break of this carrier.

If a foreign national reports the change at an MOI office that does not have technical facilities to collect biometric data, he/she will be asked to provide his biometric data at a different office. It is recommended that the foreign national make an appointment at the relevant office as soon as possible.

The new residence card is not issued on the spot. A foreign citizen will be called to visit the relevant office again to verify his/her biometric data and to collect a new residence card in person.


Department for Asylum and Migration Policy, April 22nd, 2021

Print  E-mail