Ministry of the interior of the Czech Republic  


Modern Administration

Quick links: Sitemap Text version Česky Fulltext search


Main menu



Reporting changes


Loss or theft of a travel document/identity card or residence card

Application for a new residence card due to loss or damage to a travel document/proof of identity or residence card

If a foreign national loses a travel document / proof of identity or it is stolen, he/she is obliged to notify the police of this fact immediately.

A foreign national must announce the loss, destruction, damage or theft of a document issued by the Ministry of the Interior according to Act no. 326/1999 Coll., on the Residence of Foreign Nationals in the Czech Republic within 3 working days of this event happening. If it occurs in the territory of the Czech Republic, it is announced to the MOI office based on his/her address. If this event occurs abroad, a Czech embassy abroad must be notified. Similarly, a foreign national is obliged to announce the finding or acquisition of a residence card that he/she previously declared lost or stolen.

The foreign national will receive a confirmation of having reported this.

The MOI office will issue a new residence card to replace the lost, destroyed, damaged or stolen one on the basis of a relevant application form that is to be submitted by the foreign national.

When applying for a new residence card, the foreign national provides:

Lodging of the application is charged with an administrative fee that is equal to CZK 300. This administrative fee has to be paid in a form of revenue stamps (kolek).

The foreign national will be called (in writing or by telephone) to collect the new residence card. In the case of documents containing biometric elements, the foreigner will be asked to come to the Ministry to process the data necessary for the issuance of the new card and subsequently to receive it.

The new residence card will contain the same data as the previous one, including the expiry date, unless changes were announced at the same time, or conditions for extending the validity of the card were met.


Department for Asylum and Migration Policy, August 11th, 2022

Print  E-mail