Ministry of the interior of the Czech Republic  


Modern Administration

Quick links: Sitemap Text version Česky Fulltext search


Main menu



Reporting changes


Change of travel document / identity card

EU citizens or their family members are required to announce a change of their travel document/identity card within 15 working days of the new document being issued.

The foreign national must report this to the MOI office based on his/her address on the relevant application form.

When announcing this change, the foreign national provides:

The change can be reported on behalf of a foreign national by a different person on the basis of a power of attorney. The power of attorney must demonstrate that it was signed for this specific purpose. The signatures on the power of attorney do not have to be notarized. All the administrative proceedings are done on the spot. If the change is not reported by the foreign national in person and it is necessary to issue a new residence card, the foreign national will be invited to collect it in person.

If a foreign national is prevented from reporting a change within the legally required period due to reasons outside of his/her control, he/she must report the change within 3 working days of these reasons ending. The foreign national must prove these reasons. If the change is not reported within the legally required period and there is no obstacle that is outside of the foreign national’s control, the delay in reporting a change will be judged as a violation and a fine can be imposed. An example of a reason beyond the foreign national’s control is the need to travel outside of the CR for a new travel document.

If a family member of an EU citizen - non-EU citizen - is returning to the CR from abroad with a new travel document, the fact that the number of the new travel document is not the same as the number entered in the residence permit is no obstacle within the Schengen zone. If this is the case, the Schengen states allow the given foreign national to travel across them to return to the CR. More information here.


Department for Asylum and Migration Policy, August 11th, 2022

Print  E-mail