Ministry of the interior of the Czech Republic  


Modern Administration

Quick links: Sitemap Text version Česky Fulltext search


Main menu



Information for schools and students


Leaving for the CZ

Embassy procedure before affixing a long-term visa or a visa for the purpose o f collecting a residence permit

Prior to affixing a long-term visa or a long-term visa for the purpose of receiving a long-term residence permit for the purpose of studies (D/VR), the foreign national submits a document on travel medical insurance for the period of stay in the Czech Republic, which corresponds to the conditions set out in § 180j of the Act on Residence of Foreign National.

Proof of travel medical insurance is understood to be a document in which the relevant insurance company declares / confirms:

  • The period of insurance (insurance must cover the entire stay in the Czech Republic);

  • The extent of the insurance (the insurance policy must cover the costs that the foreign national is obliged to cover for the period of his/her stay in the Czech Republic in the event of providing necessary and urgent health care including the costs associated with transport or, in the case of his/her death, those associated with transferring his/her physical remains to the state that issued the travel document or to another state in which he/she has a residence permit);

  • The amount of the insurance benefit (the agreed insurance benefit limit for one insurance event must be at least EUR 60 000, that being without an insurance retention on the amount of the given costs);

  • The insurance policy must not exclude coverage for injuries and damage caused by the applicant´s intentional acts, injuries and damage caused by fault or contributory fault on the part of the applicant, and injuries and damage caused by the consumption of alcohol, narcotic and psychotropic substances by the applicant.

Such travel medical insurance can be arranged at an insurance company authorized to operate in the Czech Republic, at an insurance company authorized to operate this insurance in other Member States of the European Union / European economic area or in the state the foreign national’s travel document is from or in another state in which the foreign national has a residence permit.

If insurance was obtained abroad, along with the proof of travel medical insurance, the foreign national always submits an official translation of the insurance policy and its general terms and conditions into the Czech language. This proves the medical travel insurance policy has been taken out, above all its extent, the limit of coverage being EUR 60 000 and that insurance is taken out without retention and, upon request, a document on paying the insurance premium for an insurance policy for the entire period of the requested stay in the Czech Republic.

Upon request by the MOI, the foreign national is obliged to submit a document on having paid the insurance premium.

A document on medical travel insurance is not required from a foreign national who

  • Contributes to public health  insurance (e.g. if it concerns a stay for the purpose of employment, proof of medical travel insurance is only required for the period of entry until the beginning of employment);

  • If the costs for health care covered on the basis of an international agreement, or

  • If the foreign national can show that health care is covered in another manner, that being on the basis of a written undertaking by a legal entity, if the foreign national’s stay in the Czech Republic is beneficial for developing spiritual values, protecting human rights or other humanitarian values, protecting the environment, cultural monuments and traditions, developing the sciences, education, physical education and sport, on the basis of a written undertaking by a state body or on the basis of an undertaking contained in an invitation verified by the Foreign police in accordance with § 15 of the Act on Residence of Foreign National).

Affixing a long-term visa and receiving a long-term residence card

Based on an instruction of the MOI, the embassy indicates the purpose of stay in the long-term visa.

Numerical codes and indication of long-term visas:

  • 23 - "studies",

  • 99 - "other",

  • VC - visa for a stay of over 90 days (multiple),

  • VR - visa for the purpose of collecting a long-term residence permit.

The embassy affixes a long-term visa granted for the purpose of “studies” or “other” into the foreign national’s passport as a multiple visa. During its validity, this visa enables its holder to stay in the Czech Republic, while he/she can also visit other EU Member States for three months during one six-month period. For more information on traveling to other Schengen/EU states, please visit our section dedicated to this topic.

Because an Embassy does not affix a long-term residence permit, which may only be issued as a plastic biometric card by the MOI, a foreigner with a general visa requirement to enter the Czech Republic will be given a D/VR visa - visa for the purpose of collecting a long-term residence permit. It is granted as a single-entry visa valid for 6 months with a permitted stay of 60 days in the Czech Republic. After affixing the D/VR the embassy provides the applicant with important information (the address of the pertinent MOI office including office hours, where he/she should report in person upon entering the Czech Republic, options for appointments by telephone, etc.).

Within 3 working days of entering the Czech Republic, all non-EU students arriving to receive a long-term residence permit are obliged to report to the MOI office in person for the purpose of carrying out activities associated with issuing a biometric residence card and to report their arrival.

Foreigners arriving without a permit or on a long-term visa for the purpose of “studies” or “other” will not receive a biometric card, therefore, their only responsibility after arrival is to report within 3 days from arrival to the Foreign Police, unless their accommodation provider does it for them, see here.


Department for Asylum and Migration Policy, September 13th, 2021

Print  E-mail