Ministry of the interior of the Czech Republic  


Modern Administration

Quick links: Sitemap Text version Česky Fulltext search


Main menu



EU Blue cards

Information for applicants for a EU Blue card 


Lodging an application

You are entitled to lodge a Blue Card application, if

  1. you intend to stay in the Czech Republic for a period longer than 3 months and if you are to be employed at a position requiring a high level of skills. At the same time, this position must be, according to the Czech Employment Act, open to non-EU foreign nationals.

  2. you are NOT

    1. in the process of an application for a long-term residence permit for the purpose of scientific research,

    2. an EU citizen’s family member, if the EU citizen resides in the Czech Republic,

    3. a resident of another EU member state and you currently have a Czech long-term residence permit of a resident of another EU member state, issued for the purpose of employment or business (§ 42c),

    4. a foreigner residing in the Czech Republic on the basis of a binding international agreement facilitating the entry and temporary residence of some categories of natural persons in connection with doing business and investments,

    5. a foreigner residing in the CR on the basis of a residence permit for seasonal workers, or

    6. a foreigner who is employed by an employer in another EU member state and is dispatched to work in the Czech Republic within the framework of providing international services,

    7. a seeker of international protection through asylu m or a person who has been granted the status of refugee or subsidiary protection,

    8. an applicant for a residence permit for the purpose of temporary protection in the Czech Republic, or a foreigner who has already been granted such a permit.

An application for an EU Blue Card is to be filed by a foreign national at a Czech embassy as well as, in selected cases, at a MOI office inside the Czech Republic, that is if you are already in the CR on a long-term visa or long-term residency permit, or are a holder of a Blue Card issued by another EU state and you apply within 1 month of entering the CR. You must file your application personally.

File your application on the relevant form with all the below listed attachments. Always provide originals or notarized copies of any documents. Any documents attached to the application must be in the Czech language or in the form of an official translation. Foreign public documents must be provided with an Apostille or superlegalization.

The Ministry of the Interior makes a decision on an application for an EU Blue Card within a period of 90 days.

EU Blue Card application requirements are as follows:

  1. travel document,

  2. a document confirming that accommodation has been ensured for the period of stay in the Czech Republic,

  3. photographs,

  4. a contract of employment for the performance of a job requiring a high level of skills for a term of at least one year and for the weekly working hours defined by law; the contract must also contain the amount of the agreed gross monthly or annual salary equal to at least 1.5 times the average gross annual salary stated in an announcement of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (MoLSA),
    Based on the Announcement of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, the average gross salary is equal to CZK 726 354  for a period from May 1st, 2023 to April 30th, 2024. Thus, the gross monthly salary of a foreigner has to be at least CZK 60 529 at this period.

  5. documents confirming the high level of skills (documents on attained education) - in justified cases, particularly if reasonable doubt exists as to whether you have the required education or whether your education is appropriate for the nature of employment, an administrative authority will request to prove and submit a document certifying that your foreign education has been recognised by the relevant authority of the Czech Republic,

  6. if it is a case of a regulated job, then a document confirming the compliance with the conditions for performing such a job is required (Note: The Ministry will make a decision on the EU Blue Card after the relevant recognition authority issues its opinion statement.),

  7. in case your employer is a job agency and you will be temporarily allocated to another employer, a document in which there is your name, surname, former surname, citizenship, birthdate, birthplace and place of your stay in the territory of the Czech Republic (address). There have to be stated a kind of work you will do, place of work, the name of the (another) employer and its registered office in this document as well. You can find a form of this document here.

If prior to filing for a Blue Card in the Czech Republic you were residing in the Czech Republic  as a holder of a Blue Card issued by another EU member state, you are obliged to present proof of the total monthly income of your family (in case of family unification).

Prior to receiving a long-term visa for the purpose of receiving a long-term residence permit - Blue Card, you are obliged to present proof of travel medical insurance for the period from entering the CR until the day you fall under public health insurance, and, at the same time, proof of having paid the insurance fee stated on the proof of travel medical insurance. In case you are applying inside the CR, please present this document automatically.

Upon request, you are also required to attach the following to your application for an EU Blue Card:

  • a document similar to an extract from the Penal Register record,

  • document proving the fulfilment of conditions set out in the measure of Ministry of Health on prevention of the spread of infectious illnesses (Medical report).


Department for Asylum and Migration Policy, May 9th, 2022

Print  E-mail