Ministry of the interior of the Czech Republic  


Modern Administration

Quick links: Sitemap Text version Česky Fulltext search


Main menu



Employee Card


Submitting an Application for an Employee Card

You must submit an application for an employee card in person at the embassy of the CR with the appropriate territorial jurisdiction. You are only entitled to submit the application at the embassy of the CR in the state of which you are a citizen or, if applicable, the state that issued your travel document, or in the state where you have long-term or permanent residence. Compliance with this condition is waived for a foreign national who is a citizen of a state that appears on the list of countries whose citizens are entitled to submit an application for a long-term visa or a long-term or permanent residence permit at any embassy of the CR (Ordinance No. 429/2010 Coll.).

You are also entitled to submit an application for an employee card in the territory of the CR at an office of the Ministry of the Interior (MoI) of the CR, if you are already staying in the territory of the CR on a visa for a stay of over 90 days or on the basis of a long-term residence permit for some other purpose, different than employment. In that case, you may submit an application until the very end of validity of such residence permit. However you are not entitled to lodge the application for employee card if you are residing on the territory on the bases of leave to remain long-term visa or long-term visa issued for the purpose of seasonal work.  If you are holder of leave to remain long-term residence permit  you are entitled to submit the application for employee card provided you reside on the territory for a continuous period of time of 3 years  based on leave to remain long-term visa and leave to remain long term residence permit.

Administrative fee

Submission of the application for employee card is charged with the administrative fee. As far as the applications submitted at the embassy are concerned the administrative free is equal to 5 000 CZK. Administrative fee should be paid generally in the foreign currency. If the administrative fee is not paid at the submission of the application at the embassy,   the application will not be examined and the proceedings will be terminated. In case of the application submitted at the territory at the MOI office administrative fee of 2 500 CZK  will be charged. Administrative free should be paid in the form of a revenue stamp(s). It is not possible to pay administrative fee in cash on MOI offices. If the administrative fee is not paid upon the submission of the application or only a part of it is paid applicant will be noticed in writing to pay the administrative fee within fifteen days time. When the payment is not made within this deadline it is the reason for termination of the examination of your application. Same applies when the administrative fee is upon the notice paid only partially. You can find the overview of administrative fees here.

In case of applications for employee card that were submitted before 15.8.2017, the administrative fee of 2 500 CZK is still charged (no matter where the application was submitted) when the long term residence permit card (employee card) is handed over to you. In case of same applications that were submitted from August 15th, 2017 to July 30th, 2019 you had to pay 1 500 CZK for acceptance of the application, so you still have to pay administrative fee 1 000 CZK for handing over the card to you.

An employee card can be applied for by submitting a special application form titled “Application for an Employee Card” where you must also state the number of the job vacancy according to the central register of job vacancies that can be filled by holders of employee cards, in addition to providing the relevant information.

You must attach the following to an application for an employee card:

  1. a valid travel document,

  2. document confirming availability of accommodation,

  3. photograph showing the current appearance of the foreign national,

  4. a contract of employment, an agreement on work activity (or at least an agreement for a future contract where the parties agree to enter into a contract of employment or an agreement on work activity by an agreed deadline). The aforementioned documents must contain a stipulation which provides that regardless of the scope of work, the agreed monthly salary will not be lower than the basic monthly minimum wage and that weekly working hours will be at least 15 hours,

  5. documents proving the professional qualifications for performance of the desired job, if this condition follows from the nature of the employment or an international agreement sets such a condition, particularly

    • a document proving the required education (such as a diploma); in justified cases, particularly if reasonable doubt exists as to whether you have the required education or whether your education is appropriate for the nature of employment, you will be obliged, at the request of an administrative authority, to prove and submit a document certifying that your foreign education has been recognised by the relevant authority of the CR,

    • a document proving the required professional qualifications, if such qualifications are required according to other legal regulations (for example, a fork-lift truck operator licence or the appropriate driving license for a tram/bus driver, etc.),

    • a document proving that you meet the requirements for performing an occupation referred to as “regulated occupation”, if your application concerns this kind of occupation; if you do not already hold such a document, you must apply to the relevant recognition authority of the CR for recognition of your professional qualifications, after filing the application for an employee card. Issuance of the employee card is contingent on your submission of an affirmative decision of the recognition authority,

  6. upon request, a document similar to an extract from the Penal Register,

  7. document proving the fulfilment of conditions set out in the measure of Ministry of Health on prevention of the spread of infectious illnesses (Medical report).

In case your employer is job agency and you will be temporarily allocated by this job agency to another employer, it is necessary to submit also document in which there is name, surname, citizenship, birthdate, birthplace and place of residence of foreign national. You have to also add kind of work you will do, place of work, the name of the employer and employer´s registered office.

You can find form of this document here.

Originals or else officially authenticated copies of all of the attached documents must be submitted. Travel document must be submitted in original. ​All submitted documents in a foreign language must be submitted in their original version and with an officially certified translation into the Czech language. The required attachments to the application must not be older than 180 days, except for the travel document and the photograph of the foreign national, provided that it corresponds to his or her current appearance.

It also applies that before a long term visa is issued for the purpose of collecting an employee card (D/VR), the foreign national is required to present medical travel insurance document and, upon request, proof of the payment of the insurance premium. The foreign national must present this document not to the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of the Interior but to the embassy, and such insurance must only be valid for the period from the date of entry into the territory of the CR until the time when public health insurance coverage will apply to him or her, pursuant to the Public Health Insurance Act - i.e., principally from the date on which the visa was issued, until commencement of employment (as stated in the submitted documents).

In the case of a foreign national who has applied for an employee card in the territory of the CR or has arrived to the territory of the CR otherwise than with a D/VR, it is not necessary to present a document on travel medical insurance.

The requirement attachments to the application are also different if the employee card operates in the non-dual mode. You can find more information in the section titled Special Cases / Non-Dual Mode Employee Card.


Department for Asylum and Migration Policy, November 1st, 2022

Print  E-mail